Throughout the spring and summer, when we have lighter evenings, our usual Wednesday run moves from Melton to the villages in the surrounding area. The usual routine is to meet outside a village pub, run for an hour over the local footpaths and then most runners stay for a drink afterwards.
These runs are sociable and run as a group, regularly stopping at stiles, junctions, etc, to keep everyone together. So that everyone gets a good, enjoyable run we will usually split into two groups, allowing those who want to stretch their legs and go a little further and/or faster to do so. As with all our runs, they are led by our members, so if you have a suitable route to suggest for the future, let us know.
We do also have a few special runs that form part of our summer programme – the “No watch” race and club handicap are always fun evenings, as is the 3 club challenge that we hold with Barrow and Wreake (2018 was our turn to host, 2019 will be Barrow’s turn, so 2020 will be at Wreake). More details of each will be announced in due course.
The 2019 schedule is as follows (date, location, leaders, route links):
- 1st May – The Grange – John/Lou – long route
- 8th May – Hungarton (Black Boy) – Mick/Dan
- 15th May – Grimston (Black Horse) – Katie/Celia – long route
- 22nd May – Melton Sports Village
- 29th May – Kinoulton (Neville Arms) – Tom/Rich – long route / short route
- 5th June – Manton (Horse and Jockey) – Chris/Nikola – long route / short route
- 12th June – Plungar (The Anchor) – Steve/Andy – long route / short route
- 19th June – Handicap Run (Hambleton) – Shane
- 26th June – Melton Sports Village
- 3rd July – Ashby Folville (Carington Arms) – Clive/Alison/Jenny – long route / short route
- 10th July – Knossington (Fox and Hounds) – Mark/Helen – long route / short route
- 17th July – Somerby (Stilton Cheese) – Simon/Kaye/Carl
- 24th July – Hose (Rose and Crown) – Rich/Tom/Amelia – long route / medium route / short route
- 31st July – Melton Sports Village
- 7th August – Croxton Kerrial (Goose and Feather) – Paul/Katie
- 14th August – No Watch Race (Crown Inn, Sproxton)
- 21st August – Melton Sports Village
- 28th August – Cake run at Branston (Wheel Inn) – Katie
Last year’s schedule is here: 2017 outruns schedule.
A selection of our favourite routes are on the routes page.
An archive of Neil’s outrun blogs over the years can be found here.